Quinoa Risotto with Butternut Squash
Would You Make This Recipe Again?
My first try with a quinoa recipe. Good flavor and texture.
3 cups butternut squash, diced
Olive oil spray
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 – 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
1 cup thawed frozen peas (or edemame)
3 oz. goat cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp walnuts, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray olive oil on the diced butternut squash and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. 2. Bring broth to simmer over medium heat. Keep warm.
3. Saute onion and red pepper in olive oil over medium high heat for 8 minutes, stirring often. Lower heat to medium. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add rinsed quinoa and cook 2 more minutes.
4. Add wine, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook until wine has absorbed and then add in just enough vegetable broth to cover. Continue stirring frequently and adding broth until all but 1/2 cup of the broth has been added. This should take about 20 minutes.
5. Add thyme, sage, peas, goat cheese and remaining 1/2 cup liquid. Stir for two minutes and then remove pan from heat (there may still be a little liquid remaining).
6. Add in squash and walnuts; garnish with parmesan cheese.