Creamy Mushroom Soup
Would You Make This Recipe Again?
Adapted from Food52
1 pound mixed mushrooms, cleaned, stems separated from caps
1 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned, stems separated from caps
.5 cups minced shallot
6 sprigs thyme
1 sprig rosemary
.25 cups cognac
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & Pepper
4 cups rich homemade chicken stock
.25 cups whipping cream
.25 cups chopped chives
1. Rough chop the mushroom stems and simmer them, covered, in the chicken broth for about an hour.
2. In the meantime, heat the oil in a large skillet, and saute the shallots until transparent. Add the herbs and salt & pepper liberally.
3. Beautifully and precisely chop the mushroom caps into a 1/2″ dice. Add them to the shallots as they are chopped. Keep the heat very low and cook gently until the mushroom liquid is released and reabsorbed. Shake the pan so they don’t stick. Remove the thyme and rosemary.
4. Turn up the heat and add the cognac. Flame it if you’re feeling really chef-y.
5. Strain the mushroom stems from the chicken broth.
6. Add the beautiful mushroom cap and shallot mixture to the strained broth and heat gently.
7. Swirl in the cream and chives and serve. Or serve in small sipping cups topped with chives and lightly whipped cream, if you want to get fancy.